Thursday, June 28, 2007
Saturday, June 23, 2007
This is the progress I've made on my felted tote bag so far:
Thursday, June 21, 2007
I guess, on the upside, I have more time to consider paint options. On the downside, I could possibly be moving on the day my Katie flies to England. Which seems sad, even though it's not like we live together (or even in the same state) now.
Why does stuff like this matter so much to me? I keep thinking I'll grow out of letting things like this disappoint me so much. So I'm now moving in about 2 months, instead of in 1 month. It's not like anything about my schedule changes in August--I'm not on a school-year calendar. Why am I so disappointed?
Tuesday, June 19, 2007
Eight random things about about me:
1) I still have two baby teeth. I had three until I got one pulled during my freshman year of college. My adult teeth have already grown in behind the two teeth that are left, so the dentist says there's no point in pulling them now.
2) I am afraid of bowling alleys. I have no idea why, but I'll tell you right now that repeated attempts to "overcome fear by facing it" have NOT worked. When I get there, I don't think I feel afraid, but after 45 min to an hour, my chest starts aching from being tense. I know everyone loves bowling, and it's a great family night, date night, youth group outing, etc...but I just can't handle it. I'm not sure if it's the darkness, the loudness, the smokiness (of most bowling alleys), or the fact that my feet never grew, so I still have to wear the hideous neon orange Velcro shoes, rather than just the ugly lace-up red and blue ones...but the point is I'd rather do just about anything else on earth.
3) I have been fascinated by geology my whole life. Yes, I have a rock collection.
4) I love looking at all sorts of mail-order catalogues--everything from Dell to J.C. Penney's, to Victorian Trading Company to Smith & Hawkin to catalogues of classes offered at community colleges. Did you know that even Target has a catalogue? They're full of gorgeous pictures of rooms filled with Target home furnishings. They come addressed to the guy that lived here before me (with a first name like 15 consonants long), but I figure if I bring it in from my mail box, it's mine. : )
5) I tend to kill about 1/3 of the plants I try to grow....despite my mother's green thumb, I apparently lack the ability to water on schedule.
6) My favorite flowers are the miniature-yet-highly-fragranced daffodil-type wildflowers that grow rampantly along the country roads in East Texas.
7) I am allergic to acetaminophen--yep, that's right--to Tylenol. However, I do not have any food or seasonal allergies.
8) I am one of those exceedingly lucky people who got chicken pox not just once, but TWICE--once when I was 4, and once in 2nd grade.
Monday, June 18, 2007
2) I finally got my eyes checked. Turns out, I have 20-50 nearsightedness, and astigmatism in both eyes. So I got contacts on Friday, and I am AMAZED at what (apparently) everyone else can see! It's incredible--I can see shadows of blades of grass while driving down the road! I can see individual stitches on the wall hanging that's across the hall from my office from my desk! However, the carpet in my office makes me dizzy b/c I can now see the pattern in it, rather than just a blur, and it's millions of tiny brown squares, and it makes my stomach feel queasy if I look at it while I walk. But the rest is all good.
3) I put my name on an apartment--number 2007 (which seems appropriate this year). It doesn't have a fireplace : (...but, it will have vaulted ceilings (read: no being awakened at 4:30 each morning by the ppl above me), and more windows, and a place for my washer and dryer, and a big balcony that does NOT face the parking lot. : ) I'm getting excited already! Now, to choose what to paint, and what colors...
4) Last week, from Sunday to Wednesday, I helped out at my church's Vacation Bible School. VBS has been one of my favorite parts of summer since I was 3 (really!), and I was SO excited about it! I got to work in "The Marketplace," which means I dressed in a biblical-times-type costume, and ran a craft booth for the kids. I helped kids from 4-years old to 5th grade make fish windsocks out of colored 6x9 envelopes and crepe-paper streamers. It was SO much fun! It was also fun to get to hang out w/ the other workers (many from my lifegroup/singles class) and to get to know some new friends better.
5) I got an email this morning from an old friend of mine, whom I haven't talked to (until this morning) in about 3 years! He is a Canadian, who has recently married an American, and is going to be living in the states for a while. He was a grad student when I knew him in college, and he persuaded me to take the Beginner's Biblical Greek class that he was teaching. Three years later, I graduated with 12 hours of Koine (Biblical) Greek, and 6 hours of Classical Greek. And I am SO grateful that he got me started on it! I am also grateful to find that, even after 3 years of not communicating, a good friend/hero/intellectual crush can still make me feel all happy inside!
7) Finally, I have to admit that I love hearing about adolescent dramas (as long as they're not mine). We have a recent high school grad (a boy) working in our office this summer, who is the son of one of our office staff, and who used to be almost-sorta-not-quite-dating a girl who worked here last summer. (Are you still with me?) Well, as it happens, this girl is doing an internship elsewhere (out of state) this summer, but...she has a twin! The girl also got a new boyfriend, with which--we think--she hoped to force the boy into some sort of jealous declaration of his love. However, instead, the boy has started spending suspicious quantities of his time w/ her twin!!! Today, the boy, his mother, and both twins (the one is in town just for the weekend) went to lunch together. Upon returning, the mother has confided to me that she can only conclude that the 3 of them should all move to Utah together and practice polygamy! The whole situation is way more entertaining than your average sitcom!
8) I finally got my invitation to join Ravelry!!! I have now done so, so please befriend me if you're on there. My Ravelry name is WordThreader (as my blog name won't fit, and all other names that I thought of (or that friends thought of) were already taken). I have already located (and friended) Betty and Jen, but I'm not sure who else is on there so far. I am SO excited about it, and I cannot wait to get home and start cataloging my stash! : ) I have always loved organizing, so Ravelry will be the perfect site for me!
Monday, June 4, 2007
There wasn't a problem, and I wasn't in that big of a hurry...until I got a letter on Friday, saying I needed to let my apts know by that exact Friday (!!!) whether or not I was renewing my lease!!! So I called to tell them I'd received the letter late, and started shopping on Saturday. Those of you who know me well know that, for some reason, housing is a big deal to me. I get very emotional about houses/apartments/real estate in general. I spent lots and lots of hours of my life searching the streets of Abilene until I found the perfect little cottage. Now, I'm searching both streets and Craig's list, but so far it's been a disappointment all around. I've found nice things I can't afford, ghetto-style housing I could afford (but wouldn't want to live in), and a few that seem closer to ideal.
I had actually decided on what I thought would be the as-close-to-perfect-as-possible option on Saturday. I took the time to go look at it on Sunday afternoon (as Bridget suggested), and deemed it The One. However, I called the office twice on Sunday afternoon, and there was no answer. I called once this morning, but no answer. And then I called again at 1pm, and...the apartment I had looked at (the one I'd been given stats for, the one which included both a friendly porch and friendly neighbors...) has already been rented!!!! It wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't already fallen in love w/ it...or if I hadn't been calling about every 6 hours for the last two days trying to rent it. Or if, when Bridget returned my call and left a voice mail at 4:55 saying she was locking up and I should just call back on Monday, she'd mentioned (or even hinted) that it might be too late already!
I'm leaving work a little early and going by the office this afternoon, to double-check that the girl wasn't just bluffing this morning, telling me it was rented already just b/c she was bored or something. I keep hoping (though rather irrationally) that Bridget had somehow read my mind (b/c I can't remember the exact wording of all the messages I've left her) and somehow she could tell I wanted it and has put it on hold for me, and that's why Ashley says it's unavailable. She just doesn't know that I'm the one it's on hold for. I just keep hoping.
So if any of you read this this afternoon, please send up a prayer or two that my visit to the office this evening goes well. I'll keep you posted on the continuing saga. Thanks in advance for the prayers!