Monday, June 4, 2007

Visions of another Gypsy Summer

I'm sorry to say there is no happy post today...no pics of a new yarn or fun party. I'm uber frustrated at the moment by some housing issues.

There wasn't a problem, and I wasn't in that big of a hurry...until I got a letter on Friday, saying I needed to let my apts know by that exact Friday (!!!) whether or not I was renewing my lease!!! So I called to tell them I'd received the letter late, and started shopping on Saturday. Those of you who know me well know that, for some reason, housing is a big deal to me. I get very emotional about houses/apartments/real estate in general. I spent lots and lots of hours of my life searching the streets of Abilene until I found the perfect little cottage. Now, I'm searching both streets and Craig's list, but so far it's been a disappointment all around. I've found nice things I can't afford, ghetto-style housing I could afford (but wouldn't want to live in), and a few that seem closer to ideal.

I had actually decided on what I thought would be the as-close-to-perfect-as-possible option on Saturday. I took the time to go look at it on Sunday afternoon (as Bridget suggested), and deemed it The One. However, I called the office twice on Sunday afternoon, and there was no answer. I called once this morning, but no answer. And then I called again at 1pm, and...the apartment I had looked at (the one I'd been given stats for, the one which included both a friendly porch and friendly neighbors...) has already been rented!!!! It wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't already fallen in love w/ it...or if I hadn't been calling about every 6 hours for the last two days trying to rent it. Or if, when Bridget returned my call and left a voice mail at 4:55 saying she was locking up and I should just call back on Monday, she'd mentioned (or even hinted) that it might be too late already!

I'm leaving work a little early and going by the office this afternoon, to double-check that the girl wasn't just bluffing this morning, telling me it was rented already just b/c she was bored or something. I keep hoping (though rather irrationally) that Bridget had somehow read my mind (b/c I can't remember the exact wording of all the messages I've left her) and somehow she could tell I wanted it and has put it on hold for me, and that's why Ashley says it's unavailable. She just doesn't know that I'm the one it's on hold for. I just keep hoping.

So if any of you read this this afternoon, please send up a prayer or two that my visit to the office this evening goes well. I'll keep you posted on the continuing saga. Thanks in advance for the prayers!

No comments: