Monday, May 14, 2007

A Few Definitions...


...for Knitting Between the Lines

  • As a new knitter (though long-time crocheter), I sometimes feel like a little kid, trying desperately to color (or knit) within the lines...but still lacking the practice needed to make my pictures (or projects) look like "everyone else's."


  • As an avid reader (and former English major), you could say that my knitting often takes a backseat to my reading habits (though with the lovely invention of audiobooks on ipod, I can sometimes do both!). Therefore, my knitting is "between the lines."


  • As a girl who loved to play "secret clubs" and "spies," I also appreciate the history of knitting secret codes of stitch patterns during the French revolution...such as in Dickens's Tale of Two Cities. Some knitting projects can actually hold clandestine meanings--if read between the lines.


  • As a Christian (and former psychology minor), I appreciate the traditional definition of "reading between the lines"--to see what isn't there in black and white. Hopefully, my knitting/blogging experiences will help me pause more often for contemplation of these truths, and to grow in unseen directions myself.

4 comments:

Katie said...

I love these definitions...and I'm proud that I helped think up the name for your blog. :) I wish you were coming to Abilene this weekend...college friends are descending en masse!

Jen said...

Hi Friend! :o) Glad you have a blog...I subscribed!

Jen said...

Hey Bethany! Email me at meangirl at comcast dot net and I'll send you to the place where you find all the html javascript progress bar thingies. :)

KMH said...

You didn't tell me you had a new blog! I like it a lot. This entry is especially well composed. I look forward to reading!